|Exquisite Penthouse Master Bath|
10 Tips to Creating a Successful Luxury Bath
alene workman, FASID for Dwell Magazine
Great bath design succeeds when people think about how they want to live and function in their private sanctum. Everything is critical to the vision the owner/design professional wants to create in this very personal space.
It is all about creating a wish list along with the basics that will allow you to create the outline to proceed.
|Zen Modern Bath|
1. Know your design style by checking out what you see in magazines, on the net or other media- Is it modern, spa like, transitional or traditional?
2. Think about the size of the space and come up with a great layout. Do you have room to create his and her baths or private, separate water closets for the toilets?
3. Include a qualified professional designer, architect or certified bath designer with the experience to get you where you want to go.
4. Don’t be afraid to make a statement. Create interest or drama in design, color, or material use.
|Private Home Powder Room|
5. Look for wonderful, interesting rich materials for floors, walls, cabinets and counter tops. Go for exotic woods, stones with unusual finishes like leather-ed and flamed marble tops or add some inlaid floor patterning.
6. Go for great bath lighting which is critical to successful design and making you look good. Get this done properly and professionally. Make sure the vanity has eye level side sink lighting combined with upper lighting. Include accent lighting in other bath locations.
7. Always anticipate storage needs and build that in to your designs. The biggest luxury is being able to find the right place to put everything away neatly. Plan your custom cabinetry based on these needs.
8. Think about what will make this room special. Is there a sexy free standing tub, a place for some highlighted great art or is this bath a relaxing retreat with a great chaise lounge?
9. Think about the items that you will need to make this bath a true luxury space. Have you included a hand held shower at a large tub for personal use and easy cleaning? Are there dual shower heads with an overhead rain head? Is there a TV in the shower with music controls?
10.Don’t forget to include those truly pampered personalized items like heated floors, a fireplace or a private morning bar area to make that first cup of your favorite coffee?
As with all good design, a great bath needs expertise, knowledge and planning. A functioning, well designed and beautiful bathroom is a true luxury.